Friday, December 4, 2020

Estes Saturn 1B, #7251 Build, Part 7, Fitting Low Wrap

The instructions say to trim off the bottom of the lower, narrower wrap to 1/32" below the corrugations.

The top picture is the before - I've marked the 1/32" cut with pencil lines.
Below is after the cut. Use a straightedge and a new, sharp knife blade. 

The ends are trimmed to 3/16" from the start of the corrugations. I left mine long before marking the butt joint with pencil.



The first cuts are long, a slight overlap still exists. 






I'd rather sand the edges to size with a sanding block until the ends meet up.
The wrap is flipped over and taped down to a piece of scrap cardboard for a spray of "77" adhesive. In the picture, under the wrap - Roll tape into a small loop, sticky side out.
I prefer the 3M 77 spray. It allows for lifts and repositioning before a more permanent bond sets in. Chances are very good you will need to lift the wrap and try a second time to get it to match up at the joint ends.

EDIT: Before using any adhesive (Spray adhesive or Super Glues (CA glue) on a vacu-form wrap, check to be sure it is compatible. Save some of the border scraps and test first!  

Build time:
Fit Low Wrap: 20 minutes
Total build time so far: 5 hours, 45 minutes

4 comments:

  1. I've wondered if Tim's technique for securing wraps on the Apogee Saturn V would translate to the Estes Saturns. It's little more effort, but the wrap will be in the right position first try and will stay put, unlike my Little Joe II wrap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal.
      I just watched the Apogee video.
      I think you've got to be careful with the CA glue and vacuform wraps. Some CA glues can dissolve the plastic. I always test he glue on a piece of scrap plastic before using it.
      His Super Glue method does work, I used it when I assembled two of his Saturn V kits.
      I'm following the Estes instruction method with the addition of CA glue down the joint seam to keep it closed. I've built half a dozen Estes Saturn Vs, two Little Joes and now two Saturn 1Bs this way. The wraps haven't come off or raised yet.
      Using the 3M 77 you can lift and re-position the wrap. If you use the 3M 90 formula, it grabs very strong and won't allow any removal or shifting of position.

      Delete
  2. with the 3M 77, do you spray both the BT and the wrap?

    ReplyDelete