Tuesday, December 29, 2020

New Micro Clips

Along with my new heavy gauge blast deflector - I decided to replace my micro clips. 

Copper is a better conductor than the steel clips included with my 6 volt Estes controller. 
I found them on Ebay, four for $4.95 plus shipping.
Copper micro clips were on my original Electro Launcher from 1970.
I prefer the flat jaw clips, not the larger alligator clips with the jagged teeth.

If you bend your igniter ends out away from the nozzle, you can connect to the side and outside the engine nozzle flame. These copper clips could last a long time.

Note in the right side picture the spring relief on the red wire out the top of the yellow controller. The wire exiting the top of the controller is a weak point in the design, the wire can wear and break.
To see how to install the ball point pen spring - CLICK HERE

4 comments:

  1. Narts has stainless steel flat jawed clips that are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      I saw that NARTS carries the stainless steel micro clips. I went with the copper clips thinking they would be more conductive. That, and it's what I had years ago.

      Delete
  2. I changed out to copper clips as well. Another tip is add a small piece of heat shrink tubing to the part of the clip you place your thumb to open. Helps a bunch for grip especially if clips get wet from dew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      The heat shrink is an interesting idea. I've not had a problem with the thumb grip on clips. Except for one set of clips that came with an Estes controller had rounded thumb pads on it. I had to flatten the round pad with pliers just to hold on to them.

      Delete