Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Launch - Schoolyard Soccer Field, Jan 12, 2021

This is the Florida weather you wait for all year. Cold, clear with no morning wind.
I get to try out the new copper micro clips and heavy duty blast deflector.
I have two new small field flyers I wanted to launch.
 

The new Fabri-Tac glue on the engine mount held strong on my Odd'l Rockets BIRDIE. The A10-3t engine got it to about 100 feet.

A new Estes TWIN FACTOR was launched single stage with an A3-4t engine to 100 feet. A build is upcoming on the blog.
Another upcoming blog build, the Estes HEX 3.
First launch was with an Estes C6-3. It seemed to go higher than the 100' posted on the face card.

I checked the glue adhesion on the legs - one leg was starting to lift. I'll sneak some white glue in the gap.

I used an old Quest MMX Silo style igniter on the New Way Micro C-THRU. The launch button was held down a good three seconds before the engine ignited.

I didn't hear or see an ejection, no streamer and the small rocket nosed in.
The picture on the right shows how close it landed to the controller, now on the ground. No damage and no melts on the streamer still inside the body. 




My toilet paper tube model, the HIGH ROLLER got to 275' on an Estes B6-4.
The 12" parachute is a tight fit in the internal BT-20 tube. I opened and aired out the chute before re-packing today.

Stable, good ejection and opening of the spill holed Odd'l chute.

This design has been submitted to the NAR Sport Rocketry magazine, fingers crossed for publication.
 






Burst pictures are a crap shoot, I lucked out on this one.
An Estes A8-3 raised the Estes GALACTIC TAXI clone to 250'.
Good chute and a close landing just missing the trees.

Six up, six recovered in the first launch of the new year. 
After watching too much TV news, a launch was a nice break. By the time I got home I realized I threw out my back after leaning over to pick up the rockets. Oh well!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Chris, are you related to Dr Who? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill,
      I don't understand your Dr. Who reference, Only watched one season.

      Delete
    2. Hi Chris, perhaps Bill is referring to the date of the launch? You appear to have travelled into the future! Looks like a successful launch session, apart from the back injury... Look forward to upcoming Twin Factor build!

      Delete
    3. Hi Bill and Astron 100,
      I got it - the launch date was Jan. 21! I'll fix it. That's what I get for prepping a blog post at 1 a.m.

      Delete
    4. Hi, yes, it was about he date. That was what my daughters would call my "dad" humor.

      Delete
  2. "Always in motion is the future..."
    -Yoda

    Hi, Chris, Great launch session. Hope your back is OK.

    ReplyDelete