Wednesday, January 6, 2021

TOP TEN for 2020, Part 2, Numbers 5 through 1

Continuing the countdown -




5. Estes LEO SPACE TRAIN

This was an involved build and a tough mask!
I built three of these, they all went back to Estes.







4. 3/4 size Centuri ALIEN SAUCER

Frank C. (The Mole on YORF) did a great job drawing up the saucer parts for a home print on 110 lb. cardstock. This slightly smaller version flys higher than the original Centuri kit.





This one took too much time redrawing the decals.
Too bad it ended up in a tree on the first launch!
(It's still high up in the tree, hanging there - taunting me.)


2. Centuri ARGUS Clone 

Somewhere along the way I picked up two Estes Eliminator kits. I ended up using just the kit fin can to make the clone. The orange and white striped triangles pieces were drawn up and printed on self-adhesive paper.

There is something rewarding about researching an out-of-production kit, ordering parts and reproducing the decals. 
And - in the end, cheaper than bidding on Ebay! 

And the Number 1 build of the year - 


The new Estes SATURN 1B
Impressive updates and that low fairing shroud is a work of art!

41 finished rockets this year, some were duplicate builds for clients.
Not a bad year for launches - 
Even with Corona virus concerns, I had 109 launches - almost twice my total from 2019!
You can do a search of "Top 10" to see previous year lists.

2 comments:

  1. At least your Colonial Viper doesn't have a Chute Release and 24/40 case in it, like my Mini Pike that I can visit whenever I'm in Oviedo. Grrr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      That's one reason I don't buy, build or fly expensive rockets, engines or payloads. I'd be beyond angry to lose a chute release or reloadable casing.

      Delete