Saturday, January 23, 2021

Semroc Laser X, KV-33 Build, Decal Fix


I mentioned I wasn't happy with the opacity of the decals. It's especially noticeable on the upper red roll pattern decal. The vertical lettering doesn't look as bad. 

I could have drawn and printed up a decal, but I thought I'd try something different.
I bought a sheet of self-adhesive red vinyl at Hobby Lobby. I don't have a Cricut machine - this will be done "old school".




It's easy enough to remove a decal that was just applied a day before.
Set some masking tape on the decal and pull up.

If you are lucky, it'll come up in one piece. This one didn't.
I was able to grab a lifted corner and pull up most of the decal in one piece. 


I picked up the older Laser X build and measured the vertical red band widths.




Strips were cut using a straightedge.


These were stuck them down without touching the sticky back, using my knife blade. I can position them easier with a blade than I could with my fingertips.








It came out pretty well.
It's not perfect but a whole lot better than the pale, peeled off decal shown below the new vinyl in the picture.
I can sleep tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chris!:

    Really LIKE the vinyl idea! Is the vinyl relatively thin? I think it looks great on the Laser X!

    Sincerely,
    J.W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J.W.,
      The vinyl is probably as thick as any other made for the Cricut machine. I think vinyl works best on larger models, this body tube is about a BT-55 size. You can't really see the thickness (unless you are really looking) but you can feel it. I prefer water slide decals for models up to a BT-60 size.

      Delete
    2. I have done the same with both trim Monokote and Microscale solid sheets of color. Can’t stand thin discolored decals.

      Delete