Tuesday, January 5, 2021

TOP TEN for 2020, Part 1, Numbers 10 through 6

Time again for the Ten Best Builds for the Year 2020! 
I spend more time on the Top 10 lists than a usual build post. Lots of searching and links to find.

What qualifies a build making the list? 
Quality of the kit and design, build-ability, the challenge and sometimes the nostalgia factor. You might not agree with my choices, but it's my blog and I'm old and cranky.
Click on the model names to go directly to the builds, from finish to the start - 
Now, Countdown backwards from 10 . . . 


10. The Quest FLV

While an impressive design, it lost some points because of the thin cardstock fins and nozzles. Those had to be strengthened to prevent damage when it lands.


9. New Way Micro Maxx C-THRU 

This was my first fully 3D printed model. It has a clear payload section, but you can't really put anything in it. The nose cone is glued on. Still, very well engineered.

8. Estes MARS LONGSHIP

This one might have been higher on the list, my three builds were sent back to Estes. I still haven't seen one fly. Lot's of cardstock details. Thin, finnicky water slide decals.

I was reluctant to buy it the first time around, with the only recommended engine a C6-3.
One of the more involved builds with a built up body. Masking the tapered areas below the nose cone was a challenge.

This was on my rocket build bucket list since the mid 1970s. Probably the first design with "floating" solar panel fins. A Gemini nose cone tops it off.
More tomorrow -

2 comments:

  1. I built the Quest FLV and your blog was a big help (I used balsa for the fins). I also built two Argus models. Next up for me is the LEO Spacetrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rraeford,
      I'm glad the blog helped out with your builds.
      Balsa would work fine in the Quest FLV fins. I don't know what went on in the fin and nozzle design through kit production. I do really like the finished look of the FLV.
      The Leo Spacetrain is a tough one to mask! Those small black wing (actuators) were painted separately on my build, then glued in place.

      Delete