Monday, August 29, 2011

260 Space Booster Build Part 10 Semroc 16 Booster

Here's a post about the 260 build from TRF:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo
"That's cool. Looks like it'll be nice and clean with no excess junk. I like that. I assume the clear fins will mount above the nozzle. Why not make the nozzle into a booster. Semroc makes that little 13mm deal that is pretty sharp. I up scaled it and have used it on my boys Executioner. Works like a champ and seems to get some nice comments".

My response:
"Thanks El Cheapo, I hadn't thought of that. The BT-60 (1.637") and ST-16s (1.640") are really close in diameter. I've built the Semroc booster but haven't used it yet.
I pulled it out to check them side-by-side and it's almost a perfect fit!
The upper shroud and centering ring needs a little shimming, but it's close.
The Semroc Booster 16 is made for a 13mm engine, you could leave out that 13mm engine mount tube and slide in a BT-20 with the right centering rings."


The Semroc booster doesn't have the 1/4" space between the two shrouds but that could be adjusted. The Semroc booster coupler is a little short.
But, for somebody not wanting to mess with printing their own shrouds, this could be a viable substitution.











The picture on the left shows the 260 with the nozzle I've built, slid in place.
Below in in my hand is the Semroc 16 Booster.

On the right is the Semroc 16 Booster in place. You can see the shorter shroud fit is a little wide.

In a later TRF post I understood what El Cheapo was driving at.
He was suggesting to make this a two stage model using a Semroc 16 Booster as the first stage. An internal engine mount (farther inside the BT-60) would be the sustainer!
A great idea, maybe next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment