Monday, August 22, 2011

TIP - Shroud Lines - AGAIN!

Maybe this post should be called "Teaching an old dog new tricks".

I've avoided the pre-assembled red parachutes that Estes had sent with their kits. These parachutes were substituted when traces of lead were found in the ink used to print the checkerboard patterns.

I was under the impression that these shroud lines would pull out when held in place with a sticky dot. My past experiences with pre-assembled parachutes have not been good.

But, these shroud lines are actually tied on to permanent tape disks.

When tying to a snap swivel, I noticed the shroud lines were attached in this fashion:



I'm of the old school, I would normally tie the shroud lines from point 1 to 2, 3 to 4 and 5 to 6.

I'd seen posts on the forums talking about tying the shrouds as shown in the drawing.






Tying the lines as in the drawing does make for less tangling when attaching to the small loop on a snap swivel.

Enlarge the picture and you can see the six shroud lines are in three groups of two, all side by side in the snap swivel eye.
Until a better idea comes along, I'll be attaching shroud lines this new way.

2 comments:

  1. Just came across this while prepping for building this clone. Cool tip. Learn something new everyday. Thx Chris

    ReplyDelete