Saturday, August 13, 2011

Centuri Nomad Clone Backstory


This wasn't the next model I had planned to build and blog.
I was on the Semroc queue page HERE and saw the Nomad was at the top of the list. Being at the top doesn't mean it's the next new kit, but it's probably coming soon. So, this one was moved to the top of the build pile.


I built an original Centuri Nomad in the mid 1970s.
Here's how it was described in the 1975 Centuri "Newspaper" catalog:
"Styled after the U.S. Naval missiles Tarter & Terrier, NOMAD has the look of the real thing."

It was the first model rocket I built that had fibre fins.
The chrome bands really set off the model. They were simply pressure sensitive trim stripes at the launch lug locations.

This clone "kit" was bought off Ebay.
When it arrived, it was disappointing. The parachute, long engine mount centering ring and screw eye were missing. No decals or chrome trim was included.
The instructions called for a wide Centuri 7/10 centering ring. The clone kit included a single 1/4" wide Estes 20/50 ring. This build will show how I worked around the mis-matched parts.
I didn't expect a Centuri Shock Cord Fastener, those haven't been made for years. A length of elastic shock cord was included, but was shorter than what I would use.

I emailed the vendor about the missing parts. Two more Estes 20/50 rings were sent along with decals, screw eye and a (older Hong Kong made) Centuri 14" diameter parachute.

Like the old cliche' says: Buyer Beware!

2 comments:

  1. Was this the same vendor that sells the Vulcan copy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lonnie,
    No, it's not the same vendor. I've seen his clone kits, they aren't much either.
    I haven't seen the vendor that sold the Nomad on Ebay lately.
    At the same time, I bought a Midget clone. There's some problems there, too. It is a clone of the original, using "short" 1 3/4" long 18mm engines. Those Series III engines haven't been available for over 35 years!
    The tailcone shroud was printed on 20 lb. paper and unusable.
    I could make adapters for 13mm engines, but you'd think the vendor would have sold the revised Midget that Estes sold afte the "T" engines came out.
    Needless to say, I'll be buying clone and repro kits from the bigger vendors from now on.
    Still, it is kinda' fun to piece together stuff that doesn't really fit.

    ReplyDelete