Monday, October 24, 2011

Cleaning Up - Post Launch Part 1

I try to keep my launcher and controller clean, but it does require some maintenance after a launch.

At the launch site, I'll wipe all the black residue off the blast deflector with a paper towel.
When I get home I'll clean it up a bit more.

This is a cheap, soft brass bristle brush. You can buy them for less than a dollar at home supply and hardware stores. It resembles a wood handled toothbrush and the brass bristles bend if pressed with a finger.

Dampen the bristles (not the deflector) and brush off the remaining blast residue.
TIP: To prevent rust, wipe down the blast deflector with a drop of light oil on a paper towel.



Here's that same brass brush used dry to clean off the micro clips. It this is done regularly, they'll stay in almost new condition.
Using the brush instead of sandpaper, most of the residue will come off pretty easily. Too rough a grade of sandpaper will sand down the clips.

2 comments:

  1. Great tip Chris! I need to grab a few of these brushes for ROCK. Of course, you'll have to show me and the others how it's done at the next launch (/Tom Sawyer mode)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it Brian!
    I used to sand my clips but found I was wearing them down. This brush knocks off all the crud without scratching too much.

    ReplyDelete