Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Custom Nomad Build Part 12 Spraying The Silver

From the instructions, this is how you are directed to mask the model. Everything is first painted white.
You mask as shown and spray the silver.

If you were to paint it this way, you would end up with silver on the internal tube and on the facing centering rings.
Also, trying to get a clean mask around the fin root edges would be very hard.
For these reasons, I tried to paint things separately and assemble things afterwards. what do they say about "Best layed plans?"


My plan was to mask off the interior BT-50 and spray silver where the BT-60 assemblies would sit. The white BT-60 assemblies would be glued on after the silver was very dry.

The picture at the right shows the masked BT-50 tube.


After the silver dried, it was no problem to slide the upper BT-60 assembly over the top and down to the silver paint line. Sliding the second assembly up from the bottom was a different story.
It has to be slid over and above the lower silver area.

There was some scratching of the silver paint, but I continued with my paint plan.

The black lugs were set between the two BT-60 assemblies. I slid the lower assembly up until I got a friction fit of the lug ends against the two facing centering rings.

Looking at it close, I wasn't happy with the scratched silver paint at the lower fin area.
(In the picture, I had already scraped away the silver paint for a better glue bond at the root edge of the fins.)

No comments:

Post a Comment