Monday, October 17, 2011

Titebond Molding & Trim Glue Test Part 1

On the rocketry forums, builders had raved about how well it filled gaps and thicker, non-shrinking fillets.
I tried Titebond Molding and Trim Glue before, my results weren't as good.
The problem was, I was smoothing a Molding and Trim Glue fillet the same way I would a fillet of Elmer's White Glue.

When making a fillet using Elmer's white glue, I would lay down a bead of glue then smooth it out with a fingertip three times.
That's right, I would smooth the fillet three times.
Once to remove the excess glue, a second and third time to remove any excess from either side of the fillet joint.

The Titebond M&TG dries (or skins over) almost immediately.
When I went smoothed over a second or third time, that outside dried skin (over top of the fillet) would pull and drag dried glue over the fillet. I couldn't get a smooth fillet surface!

When going back to apply another fillet, there was dried glue on the nozzle of the bottle. Blobs of drying glue would be mixed in with the next fillet I applied.

While other builders would report great success on the forums, I wasn't getting good results. Frustrated, I threw away the bottle.

More in the next Titebond M & TG post . . .

2 comments:

  1. Sacrilege! You should have donated it to someone else.

    Part of your problem may be that you actually have pride in your paint jobs. :) I use the stuff a fair amount and you do have to clean the tip. I squirt some on a scrap piece of something to make sure it's flowing. Sometimes when I get it going I initially plop out a large blob. The trick is to get the right sized bead on the fillet area. That way one pass will do ya'. The benefit to me is it grabs fast so you can build fast and that the fillets don't develop the inevitable dimples I get with white and carpenter's glues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Halloween Corn Roc banner!

    ReplyDelete