Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Titebond Molding and Trim Glue Part 2

Recently I decided to give it another try:
I went to the Granger's website to find the glue. It was in stock, but there was none at the Orlando warehouse. I didn't want to pay $8.00 shipping on a $4.00 bottle of glue.
I called Lowe's again. They found it in the store. I asked them to hold two bottles for me.
In Orlando, Home Depot and Lowe's didn't carry the Molding and Trim Glue. I couldn't find it in the glue aisle.



When picking up the bottles, I realized why I never found it in the store.
The label has been changed. All I was seeing was "Titebond, No-Run, No Drip - WOOD GLUE.
At the top in very small print was the words "Molding and Trim Glue"



Last week I was reading TRF. A builder was writing about his experience with Titebond M&TG.
He said something like: "Wet your finger and smooth the fillet."
That's it? The solution is smoothing with a wet finger?

This time I applied a single fillet and immediately capped the glue bottle so the glue in the tip had no chance to dry.
I wet my finger and smoothed the fillet. SUCCESS!

As it turns out, it's a little like applying caulk. You smooth out a bead of caulk with a WET finger.
I let the fillets dry with the rocket standing on it's fins, vertically.
The Molding and Trim Glue did not run!
Shrinkage looked to be minimal and the fillets seemed thicker after drying.

I might have a new finishing tool -
Better fillets on low power rockets without getting out the epoxy? (See the next post.)

1 comment: