Friday, July 17, 2015

Estes Mercury Redstone #1921 Build Part 13, Tower Assembly and Paint, Part B

Again, glue the tower sides together first. Don't glue the inverted "Vs" into the holes in the antenna housing rim.

I followed the older Centuri instruction to assemble the capsule and tower.
The Plastruct cement glued the first two sides together and dried quickly.
On the left, a drop of glue is applied to the small nubs. The first two sides were joined together.

The inset picture shows a second application of the glue inside and out of sight.
The tower sides were set into the bottom of the escape tower to double check the alignment.

After the three tower sides were glued together - (inset pic) 
I also dry fitted (no glue) the antenna housing top into the small holes inside the bottom of the tower.
I'm leaving it off the tower for now, It'll be painted black with the capsule.
NOTE: The inverted "V" struts are going straight down at the moment. When they are (later) fitted into the indent holes in the top of the antenna housing they will be pressed IN slightly.




The antenna housing and antenna cap were pressed into place, no glue yet.

This entire assembly will be painted gloss black.
I know, it should be painted flat black. The decals will adhere better to a gloss surface. It'll get a shot of clear flat later on.







Here's all the pieces that will be painted gloss red.
I could have glued it all together but getting paint into all the tight corners is easier with the parts separate.

I'm painting the tower assembly red because the plastic color is a little bit pink, like the red in the decals.

4 comments:

  1. I recall reading in a blog or modeling mag that the tower was a little more orange than the lettering on the booster and not cherry red. I remember the author was quite adamant about the whole thing and I guess that's why I remember it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul,
      Maybe that was an earlier re-issue of the Centuri kit. As I mentioned earlier, the red plastic (capsule and tower) is the same color as the pinkish decal color. Pretty interesting.
      I'm sure it would cost more to do it, but it would have been easier for a younger builder if the tower were molded in red and the capsule in black.

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris,

    Did you first spray the capsule and tower pieces with primer before painting? I did this before with a previous Redstone build and then wondered if it was a necessary step. Working on the Freedom 7 kit right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jimmy,
      I didn't spray primer before the red and black sprays. No real reason to do so, I've never had problems with paint adhering to plastic. I did wash off and dry the parts before gluing to be sure there wasn't any "mold release" left on the plastic parts.

      Delete