Saturday, July 25, 2015

Estes Mercury Redstone #1921 Build Part 22, Capsule Window

The first Mercury Redstone had an round window, this kit is based on the second Redstone launch and should have had a trapezoid shaped window.

I can't paint the fins with all the Summer rain so I decided to cut in a more correct window shape.

On the left is the molded round window. On the right are some taped guidelines.


This was a little iffy with the tower already glued on.

I used a combination of knife cuts and small diamond filing.
The final shape might not be totally correct but it's closer.








The clear window was cut from a fluorescent light cover.
It's already curved and should fit the inside of the capsule.

It was cut oversize so glue could be brushed on the outside overlap and not fog up the plastic.


Here's how it ended up. You can still see the top of the rounded window. I didn't want to sand down the rivets and deal with painting the capsule again.
The inside edges showed red plastic. I used a Sharpie to blacken it.

I know there should be another layer of "glass" on the outside but this is good enough for me.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, now you can light it :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie,
      And I thought I was improving the kit!
      Lights? I don't think so -

      Delete
  2. That’s some serious attention to detail. I like it, but I don’t have the guts to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete