Saturday, August 27, 2016

An Email From Larry Brown

I just got this email from Larry Brown. He must have ran across the blog doing a search of the X-24.
This letter gives some insight into the X-24 Bug development. As Larry explains, he did a lot of design work for Centuri.

Hello.

For 4 years, I worked in R&D at Centuri engineering with Grant Boyd as the divisional head.  The X-24 was one of my designs.

A few years prior, I worked in Quebec in a high-rise office building.  We're talking 1969.  I don't remember how many of us were involved, but somehow, we got into a contest to see who could make a Styrofoam coffee cup fly the best. I think it started by spiral-footballing them into trash cans and evolved (or degenerated) from there.  Finally, we were launching off the roof.  I was into model rocketry and interested in lifting bodies, so I tried adding tiny lumps of modeling clay to the nose and to a spot near the rim to see if I could get the cup to assume an angle of attack while falling.  Eventually, I had a flying cup... horrible by any standards other than maybe any other Styrofoam cups.

Pages blow off the calendar and I'm in Arizona at Centuri.  They had a rocket called the Point, a paper cone with no fins needed.   I started fooling with it and, thanks to a plastic nose cone (weightier than the Point's balsa) and some modeling clay at a point near the rim.  Sure enough, it went up kinda straight and sort of glided back down.  I stuffed a more triangular insert into it so the clay weight could offer more roll stabilization and added a paper cockpit and a paint job.  It worked even better.  So I suggested it as a product: MR's first lifting body.  The boss wanted fins.  I worried that any warping or misalignment of the fins would induce roll - and then it wouldn't glide.   Lost that one.  For NARAMs and local demos, I took to using only the tips of the cut-out fins, more for decoration than anything else.  Aerodynamically, the X-24 has less drag with no fins or maybe with tiny glue-ons to resemble pods of some sort.

If you're still fooling around with this, try making a card-stock pattern, printing up a bunch, and see for yourself.  It makes for a nice lesson in aerodynamics - and it doesn't need a huge field.

I was canned from Centuri during a purge by the parent company.  Had designed a bunch of rockets there, my favorites being the Space Shuttle and the Orion.  Worked 4 more years in business and have been an English and history teacher for the last 40 years.

Cheers,
Larry Brown, Hyannis, MA















I don't think Larry remembered we had met before. He gave me the tour of Centuri. Later I got to know the Centuri R&D guys at the NARAMs in 1975, 76 and 77.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a coincidence. I was just browsing the Jonrocket site and they just started listing a couple of kits by Advanced Rocketry Group based on the Enerjet 2250 sounding rocket, designed by Larry Brown. Not in stock yet, though.Thank you, Mr. Brown for all your contributions to the sport.

    BAR Geezer

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an unexpected, fantastic post. It is not least information such as this that adds to making this blog so great. Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all these historical anecdotes. I wish they were all integrated together into a giant "history of model rocketry" book.

    ReplyDelete