Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Enerjet News, Mercury Little Joe I, Part 11, Decal Trim TIP

This is not my idea. I saw it on a forum a few years back. I would give name credit if I knew who came up with it. It is a great, simple technique for some trim colors.

There are orange stripes on the body and outside edges of the fins.
I didn't want to mask and spray the model again so I "spray painted" some decals. This will make a decal a little like trim tape. It will end up the same thickness as a coat of paint.

Orange was sprayed on a new white decal sheet. Using a white (base) decal sheet is sort of like spraying color over a white paint undercoat. You could spray on a clear base decal sheet but the colors wouldn't be as bright.


After the paint was thoroughly dry, the sprayed decal sheet was cut into strips.
The angle of the leading edge cut was traced with a pencil.



The spray paint seals the decal paper and no clear coat is needed like a regular home printed decal.

Soak and apply!
The ends were left overhanging the trailing edge and will be trimmed after it dries.

5 comments:

  1. That is cool, I had no idea it was possible. Which brand of decal paper did you use for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      It's the standard stuff I get from: http://www.decalpaper.com/category-s/2.htm
      That's the inkjet page.
      The only thing bad about ordering from them - sometimes their shipping envelopes can get bent when the mailman folds and slides it into my mailbox!

      Delete
    2. The much-dreaded "do not fold, spindle or mutilate" phrase (often associated with punched cards) comes to mind.

      Delete
    3. Hi Naoto,
      Fold and mutilate I understood when I was younger and dealt with punch cards. But "spindle?"

      Delete
    4. I'd guess that "spindle" is reference to skewering it onto a "bill spike."
      Speaking of punched cards... I do remember using an IBM Port-A-Punch ( http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/specialprod2/specialprod2_5.html ) many, many years ago.

      Delete