Friday, August 12, 2016

Enerjet News Mercury Little Joe Build, Part 9A, Black Fin?

Apparently one fin on the Little Joe I is orange on one side and black on the other!
Here's a conversation from TRF:

Originally Posted by Peter Alway 
"Funny how once you've seen that fin black on one side, you can't unsee it!"
______________________________________

Response from James Duffy:
"Tell me about it. I'm off to the hobby shop this afternoon for more black lacquer.

Here's what Peter is referring to: After building Little Joe models for the past decade and a half, Peter gently pointed out that one side of the orange fin is actually black. After staring at still and motion photography of this thing for sixteen years I had never noticed this major detail, simply assuming that this side of the fin was in deep shadow. Fortunately the modular construction of the model will allow the fin to be removed and repainted easily.

Never underestimate the power of a second set of eyes deployed in any situation."

James

________________________________________________________________________

My response:
"James, I'm following this build closely! Impressive work.

What? one side of the orange fin is black? All this time I thought it was one orange fin, orange on both sides.
I'm building the Enerjet News Little Joe right now.
http://oldrocketplans.com/pubs/Enerj...enerjet173.htm

I know their scale data isn't really correct, I'm just building it like plan using the Estes re-issue capsule and tower.
With the black capsule it's closer to the LJ5, LJ5A and LJ5B versions without the orange on the body.
The orange fin is glued on, mine will stay orange on both sides.
It'll end up a sorta look alike semi scale flier."

Hans "Chris" Michielssen
Old/New NAR # 19086 SR

2 comments:

  1. Hello, don't know if this sight is still up. QUESTION: does anybody have any idea about the Aug 21, 1959 first LJ flight for colors? I mean exact! I've spent days looking for this info. I cannot find any color pictures of the 1st flight? Any help greatly appreciated, I'm acquiring a ton of photos for my project. Tony in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony,
      Here's probably the best site for little Joe I info: http://web.archive.org/web/20050207130435/http://www.peter.mcquillan.dsl.pipex.com/
      The blogsite is still in operation, click on the top title bar to go to the current build.

      Delete