Sunday, August 14, 2016

NEFAR Launch - August 13, 2016

I flew back from California touching down at 7:00 a.m., just enough time to drive to the NEFAR launch in Bunnell. The NEFAR field gives me a chance to stretch using engines larger than a B6-4.
I knew it'd be hot, but it wasn't unbearable. Low power pads were available all day.
The sod farm field was marshy in some areas, good thing I wore my junk shoes.



My Estes NIKE APACHE was first. This the upcoming re-issue kit.
The Estes web page says it gets 880' on the C6-5. I'd say that looked about right.
There was a lot of recovery walks today. I've never been good at adjusting launch rods for the 10 mph winds.







Here's the first flight of the Estes HI FLIER XL with an D12-5.
Arrow straight to an estimated 850'. The homemade baffle did it's job, no melts in the 18" spill holed parachute.






This is Bill Lauder, he drove from Georgia to fly at the Bunnell, FL field.
Bill launched his Odd'l Rockets Cyclone with an 1/2A3-2 engine.
At ejection the upper section did the maple seed thing - a fast monocopter spin touching down just past the drainage ditch.
Many were surprised by how well and fast it spun - almost hovering.




I wasn't the only one to fly the BMS SCHOOL ROCKET today. The Moon family had two of them!

Mine flew with an E9-4 engine to an estimated 600'. This is a favorite with a slow launch.




This shows how wet some of the field was. I was lucky.
At landing, the body tube straddled the wet rut and was dry.





Carl Campbell (RSR) and his son Jason were there. Jason hasn't been to a launch in a few years.

The Estes Saturn V had lots of extra 3D printed details and slightly enlarged fins.
The launch didn't go well. The E12-4 engine is recommended but seemed under powered and arced over. Hitting the ground before ejection the upper body was forced into the lower, larger tubes.
Carl says it's repairable!

My last launch today was the New Way A-20 DEMON with a D12-5.
Textbook launch and recovery to an estimated 800'. Under a spill holed chute I had my last long walk of the day.

I had hoped to launch the MPC Red Giant but had a bad igniter. The rain was coming so I packed it in for the drive home.

Four up, four recovered with very minor damage, just a few fin nicks.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your launch reports, especially the schoolyard reports. Unfortunately, the lack of a local launch area has been a major obstacle to my BAR attempt. During younger days I could walk a couple blocks to a several hundred foot size launch site. Now I can get to a small local playground, but only early in the morning and only when it is not baseball season. There is a local NAR chapter, but no launch site. Thanks for maintaining an excellent blog.

    Philip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phillip,
      I lived in California until about 1981 and could walk around the corner to a good sized schoolyard launch field. I visited CA last week and that field is now locked, opened only for school hours.
      Before I bought my home here in Florida I saw a soccer field within walking distance. I launch there occasionally early, about 7 a.m. before winds come up. There's no soccer playing going on that early in the day. You can get pretty creative on small fields with C engine saucers and Big Bertha style models with a B6-4.
      I'm fortunate to have to NAR groups in central Florida, one is a 45 min drive, the other about 1 hour 45 minutes away. Both groups are so well run it's worth the trip.
      Hope your local NAR group finds a launch site!

      Delete