Friday, August 5, 2016

Launch, Schoolyard Soccer Field, August 4, 2016

I haven't launched anything for over a month!
Summer launches in Florida are tough. The heat drains you, you might need the next day to recover.
I haven't launched at the schoolyard for a while either. Starting tomorrow, I leave for California for a week, I knew I had to sneak in a quick launch. I walked over to the soccer field at 7:00 a.m.

Paul and Donna were walking the basketball court. Paul is a veteran and suffers from P.T.S.D. I wait until he leaves before launching. The launching "whoosh" reminds him of incoming missiles in combat. We talked for a few minutes before they headed out.
The sprinklers were running on the South side of the field. I had to set up to the North.



A MicroMaxx is always a good first launch. If six volts can heat bare nichrome and ignite an engine, I know I'm good for the rest of the morning.

This is the FlisKits CRAYON. I know it only got to 75 feet, but tiny rockets look like they reach 500 feet.
The streamer didn't pull out at ejection but the mid-point break-away recovery brought it back without damage.



I almost lost this one!
The Semroc ASTRON is a slightly smaller version of the Centuri Astro 1. It was loaded with a Quest A6-4.
Fast and loud off the launcher to 300'. I didn't feel any breeze but it started drifting North under the 12" parachute.
I ran to pick it up and saw it go behind trees and (I thought) into the backyard of a perimeter house.
I crossed the street and was trying to get a better line of its placement behind the brick wall. I turned to walk back, giving it up for lost.
10 feet to the left in the middle of the street I saw the rocket. I expected to find broken fins from the hard asphalt landing. Just one fin tip was nicked.
This rocket is one of the best values out there, still $9.99 from ERockets.biz


The first launch of the the MPC RED GIANT was near perfect.
The only engine recommended is a C6-5 but I thought it'd be fine with a B6-2.
Good slow boost and 175' estimated altitude. Ejection was right before apogee, just before turning over. If a B6-3 engine were available, that would be the best delay match. The 18" MPC chute wasn't used, I switched out for a 12" Odd'l parachute.


I was using Estes Starter igniters today, except for the first MicroMaxx launch.
I'm using a new pyrogen dip. All ignitions were quick, almost immediately after pressing the launch button. Here's one after a launch. The clear tip is melted but still there. The BP pyrogen is burnt off.
More on this "home brew" dip later after more tests.




A Father and Son were walking their dog close by. They stopped and were waiting for another launch. I motioned for them to come over.
I asked the Father, Miguel if his son could launch a rocket. He said: "Sure, we used to do this is Puerto Rico".
I had Michael (the son) help me connect up the clips, explained the countdown and to hold the launch button down until it was launched.
Many first timers do a momentary quick press of the button and the engine doesn't ignite.

Michael did great, he let out a "Whoa" when the Estes BULLPUP was boosted with an A8-3. Altitude was only 175' but was enough to excite Michael. He had questions. I gave his Dad an Orlando Rocketry card with website information.


My best launch of the day was the Quest TOMAHAWK CRUISE MISSILE with a Quest B6-4.
Michael and his Dad stayed for it and both commented it was louder than the Bullpup launch.
Boost was a slow spiral to about 275'. At ejection I thought it might go West into the busy road but the slight breeze brought it back and was caught before it hit the ground.

Five up, five recovered with a little Rocketry P.R. thrown in. A good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment