Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Enerjet News, Mercury Little Joe I, Part 1, Parts


If this looks familiar, it's the parts from the Estes Mercury Redstone kit!
Everything on the left side will be used, the decals and fins are saved for another build.





The only thing not shown above are the "wooden or plastic golf tees" used to simulate the four Recruit engines. I always thought that was a clever idea. These were picked up at a golf pro shop.




The plans don't leave you with a very accurate scale model. There wasn't much declassified information available in the mid 1970s. I'll build it following the Enerjet News plans, close to how I would have done it if I had the parts back then.

The Enerjet News Parts List says the fins are fins are cut from 3/16" balsa. I'll laminate two sheets of 3/32" balsa I have on hand.
You'll only need 8" of the ST-20 tubing.
This one will remain with an 18mm engine mount for C6-3s.
The body and capsule will descend separately under two 12" parachutes.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. Looking forward to this one, especially to see how you work with the golf tees.

    ReplyDelete