Thursday, August 31, 2017

Apogee Shrockets Skonk Wulf Build, Part 1, Parts


This is one burly, sharp looking model. Another great design by Shrox.
I'm looking forward to the build but check out how colors there are. Like many Shrox designs, the masking will be time consuming.


Most parts were good. The body tube is a BT-80 with the fin slots already cut.

The parts of interest:
The website and face card mention vinyl decals but they are more like stickers on a clear backing. The clear backing border goes out beyond the decal ink. These are like the stickers supplied in the Dynastar kits. I'll be drawing up some water slide replacements.

The parachute is orange plastic sheeting.
Plywood centering rings.
The small white card is assembled to help set the angles of the outside wing tips.
A 8' length of 300 lb. Kevlar is provided.

7 comments:

  1. Chris,
    Just wondering, will you be scanning the stickers on your printer then printing on decal paper? The design pak I have includes water slide decals. Don't know why they switched to stickers when they brought out the kit. Seems like a downgrade. Laters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      I went ahead a re-drew them. They are mostly black except for the NSFK and large cockpit decal. The stickers might be easier for some but with the clear sides they seem too thick.

      Delete
  2. This kit really interests me, like I need another rocket, so I will be watching this build with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi metal,
      It's definitely a well designed model. Paint masking was a real chore. Lots of different colors and slow dry times (between color changes) with the humidity.

      Delete
  3. I've been eagerly waiting for this build! I bought the plan pack awhile ago and the parts but haven't started it. I know this is a very small detail to be concerned about but I don't think I can use the NSFK decals - just sort of doesn't feel right. I'm planning on substituting a West German flag for it even though the Iron Cross design doesn't match. Again, a small thing to fret over and it has no effect on the interesting design Shrox created. Thanks for doing this build on the blog Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Openroad,
    I didn't know about the history behind the NSFK, I just looked it up. The client didn't want that decal on the finished model either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This isn't a slam on Shrox's original alternative history back story and design but not only is a German flag tail flash less likely to cause any inadvertent hard feelings I think it looks better too. Since this isn't a scale model of an actual vehicle - like a V-2/A-4 rocket model is - I don't see a problem making the change to the markings .

    ReplyDelete