Friday, August 11, 2017

Estes Starship Nova #1371 Build, Part 6, Wing and Rudder Glue and Shape


The two piece fins show the balsa grain direction.
Here I'm lining up the root edges to check the fit. Notice the curve between the pieces at the leading edge. It's not a smooth flowing line.


Everything was glued up and set under my clear cutting board to dry.
This cutting board give the right amount of weight against the flat counter top. The top of the board has a pebbled surface but the underside is smooth.


After all was dry I tried to get a better curve on the leading edges of the wings and rudder.
I don't know if this was a mistake or direct copy of the the original kit lines. It just didn't look right to me.

Some 220 grit was wrapped around the BT-60 tube from the kit to round it out.



Here's the reshaped wing on top of the other, yet to be shaped second leading edge. You can see how much was taken off to get a better, flowing curve line.

No comments:

Post a Comment