Monday, January 29, 2018

Estes Saturn V Decal Changes


I put 3/4 of the decals on the new Saturn V build today.

On the last kit build the two command module and two service module decals the UNITED STATES wording was curved to fit the command module cover. This left you with two curved decals for the sides of the service module tube.

Estes fixed those decals this time, two curved for the conical CM cover and two straight for the sides of the service module.
GOTCHA: The vertical UNITED STATES decals were still wrong. The "I" in UNITED isn't centered!

On the left, the "I" should be centered over the center line of the letter "T" below it.

On the right side picture I cut the decal and slid over the "I" - four times! The entire decal was set down. As it was starting to stick the "I" was cut with a sharp knife. the decal is thin and it doesn't take much knife pressure to cut through the clear coat. Once it was free of the line it was slid to the center with finger pressure.

I spent a few years setting headlines in a print shop. I tend to notice things like this.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job noticing that uncentered "I" *before* you put it on. If I noticed it afterwards it would have driven me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That CM is just incredible. You're right, it really makes the model pop.

    ReplyDelete