Monday, January 1, 2018

New N1 Moon Rocket Kit

I've already received an email asking if I'm going to build the new Altaira Rocketry N1 kit. The answer is a polite NO!

The model is listed on the Apogee website for $148.88. To see the listing, CLICK HERE

I've got to give the kit producers at Altaira Rocketry credit for producing such an involved kit. It's a big undertaking to produce a scale kit of this size and detail.

On the Apogee page, take a good look at the posted photographs of the kit parts. The tube cuts are very rough, the vacu-form and resin cast parts are bubbled.
Regarding the tubes - You can't cut a BT-50 with a band saw or razor saw. I'd be concerned if I were to sand the tube ends flat they might be too short to be used for assembly. If this is a Level 5+ kit the experienced builder should already know how to cut body tubes - cleanly. I'd rather be supplied with long one tube and dimensions to cut them myself.

I can't purchase it for the same reason I didn't buy one of the Shari's Hot Rockets kit. There is just too much cleaning up and patching of the kit parts! I don't mind filling balsa and tube seams - But if I have to make new kit pieces it's just not worth the frustration.

The online instructions are interesting; CLICK HERE for the PDF.
The build shown in the PDF seems rough. Take a look at the picture on the bottom of page 10.

Apogee makes it clear:
"But you have been warned! There are NO REFUNDS for this item. Before you purchase it, be sure you are knowing exactly what you are purchasing. Study the images on this page, and read carefully, as well as downloading the assembly instructions."

The buyers are there - the Apogee website already lists the kit "Out Of Stock"

3 comments:

  1. That scale bothers me too much. 1/122nd?? Who does that? 1/144, I could understand... I'd prefer 1/100th to be comparable to the Estes Saturn V. As it stands, I'll wait until I retire or win the lottery or something, then I'll scratchbuild a 1/48th...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully Altaira isn’t a one and done vendor. Taking on the Russian N1 as their first release is pretty cheeky but have to give them credit for the effort. If they sell through a couple of runs of the N1 maybe we’ll see more interesting and different kits. I’ll be curious to see how these kits turn out - if the builders post their results on the various forums that is. Can’t blame you Chris for doing one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's pretty much a one man operation. The reason their first kit is the N1 is that Matt Johnson, the owner of Altaira Rocketry, co-wrote an extensive book called "N1, to the moon and Mars":
    http://www.erockets.biz/book-n-1-for-the-moon-and-mars/

    It appears he is well informed about the details of this rocket. He is also very open to emails about orders, build questions, etc. He has indicated that there are more kits planned, but no details or timetable.
    But to be sure, this is a builders' kit, as Chris mentioned. Set aside a few weeks to get this done. Laters.

    ReplyDelete