Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Estes Scissor Wing Transport Build, Part 9, Ends and Edges





The tie-down lug on the back of the plastic nose cone shoulder is cut off.
I used a fine saw and sanded the end smooth.


On the peel and stick decal sheet is a red dot. The instructions call this a "Engine Debris Block". It goes over the base end of the nose cone shoulder.
I didn't think this was enough protection against a hot ejection. I cut another disk out of heavy card stock and glued it over the entire bottom of the base. I also gave it a coat of glue to protect it.



The remainder of the launch lug is glued into the open slot on the outside of the wing.
After the glue dried the end was cut off clean with a new razor blade.


The front "Plastic Wing Holder" is glued together with liquid plastic glue. It was clamped with clothespins as it dried.


The base of this piece is curved and will glue to the nose cone.
When the model is launched, the wing tip is held between the two pins on the left.

3 comments:

  1. I'm curious to see how this flies for you, Chris. My friend Chad had one, and it never flew well. Of course, he was not at all a skilled builder, so perhaps that's part of it.

    Each launch was a giant loop off the pad straight into the ground. When I put together the launch video, I added a Wilhelm scream to the sound track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      I had one years ago (initial release of the kit) and it did pretty well, sort of like the original Estes Bomarc with pop-pod glide recovery. You put enough up elevator to pull up the nose and some strange designs can go into a fast glide.

      Delete
  2. This one of those rockets I always wanted as a kid but knew I’d never get it to fly right. Watching Chris build one tells me that 9 year old me was exactly right!

    ReplyDelete