Sunday, January 28, 2018

Estes Scissor Wing Transport Build, Part 13, Wing Tip Stickers


The stickers were deeply die cut, I could punch them of the sheet leaving the backing still on.

GOTCHA: You can see how off the cut was when setting the tips on the wing. You'll want some even white border around the edges of the decal. The overhanging lip won't wrap over the rounded ends of the wing.


The tip shape was traced on the backing with pencil. I used scissors to cut off the excess.

With the backing still on the sticker I could sand the edges round.



Without sticking it down, here's how the wing tip sticker should look.









The other side will have to be fixed. Look how much was removed!
I used the first trimmed wing tip as a template to cut the other side.


3 comments:

  1. I do vaguely recall that the wingtip trim decal could indeed be placed so that the border around it was even -- the catch was you'd end up with a pretty wide border around it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      Looking at the face card picture (which was of an original, first run kit) you can see the correct spacing of the wing tip decals. The wing tip stickers in this kit just looked WAY off. I wanted the white space around the sticker to be even.

      Delete
    2. To be a bit more specific about what I meant about "pretty wide border" -- around 1/8" ~ 3/16" -- which didn't look "right" to me (but it *did* fit that way).

      Delete