Thursday, January 18, 2018

Estes Scissor Wing Transport Build, Part 3, Pop Pod


I didn't want to cut up the instructions so I scanned the marking guide wraps.
TIP: When you scan fin templates or marking guides, always put a ruler inside the scanner. After you print a copy, check the print ruler against the physical ruler. If both match up you should be good to go.


Even though the printed copy ruler was correct, the kit marking guide still didn't match up - close though - 

Before gluing anything onto the BT-20 pod tube, I filled the seam in the short length that will be exposed out the back of the BT-50 main body.



After sanding down the primer/filler the tube was marked for the engine hook and rear centering ring.


The rings were too tight on the pod tube. I could have peeled the inside, but instead -

TIP: Burnish down the raised burr with the rounded end of a ballpoint pen. Now I had a good friction fit.

5 comments:

  1. I'll usually ignore the provided marking guide. I grab up whatever (lightweight) paper is handy, cut it to a rectangle, wrap it on the tube, mark the overlap point, unwrap it then cut off the excess. From there, I break out the ruler and divide by 3 (or 4 or however many fins I have). If you can't do the math, put the ruler at an angle until you reach a divisible number (use the metric side to save your sanity). Repeat at a different position or angle if you need 2 ticks to make your lines straight. if you need a launch luck line, add it between two that you've made *and mark it 'LL'*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *lug, not luck... I'm lucky to remember to put them on before priming!

      Delete
  2. https://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/construct-segment3.html
    OMG! It's MATH!!! No need to worry -- pretty simple technique that requires no computation at all. If you've taken course in mechanical drawing or drafting, you've probably seen this technique (or something similar).
    I semi-jokingly "blame" the Disney short "Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land" as being the "spark" that started my lifelong interest in mathematics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theta also this, as an alternative.

    http://www.payloadbay.com/page-Tools.html

    Our friend and JonRocket owner, Roger Smith, put this together.

    ReplyDelete