Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Model Minutes Leduc 22 Build, Part 11, Nose Section




You'll find it easier to cut the jagged tabs with straight pulls of a knife while the piece is still on the sheet.
This piece is the bottom section of the nose assembly. A round foam disk is glued in the bottom. There is very little nose cone shoulder extending down into the main body section.

After the tabs are bent in a printed disk is glued onto the top.

I made copies of the nose cone to practice with. After two tries I felt confident to use the one that came with the kit.

I use a sharpened dowel to help form the tight cone.



To help get a tight tip, I held the card stock over some slow boiling water to steam it.



That didn't help!
I didn't get a good close of the nose cone tip. I lifted the glue tab and tried again. I wasn't happy with the end result. This is a small, tight cone form.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, just like those spike nose cone extensions in the TLP kits. Difficult enough on a large extension, impossible on a tiny one. If I recall, the TLP instructions say that a small opening at the tip is common, and recommends filling with wood filler or putty. I would paint it with CA first, then fill and sand to shape. Once it's painted, it'll look just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      The was probably the smallest cone tip I've ever had to form. The second practice tip went well, I got a good join at the tip. The third try was the kit cone - not good.
      I've read the TLP tip instructions before. I could have filled it - but how would I ever match the printed grey color afterwards?
      I'd probably use the filler first, then the CA glue to harden it up. Applying the CA glue first would seal the paper and the filler wouldn't stick as well.

      Delete