Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Estes Scissor Wing Transport Build, Part 10, Dowel Mount Shim

I wasn't happy with the dowel stand-off fit over the engine pod. There were gaps on both sides.

Problem is, if you sand too much so it hugs the tube you make is shorter and the dowel won't slide into the wing lug.

I made a small shim by warping some wet 1/16" thick balsa around an X-Acto handle.
When it dried the curved piece was glued to the bottom of the dowel mount. A glue bottle applied pressure on that curve.



Most all of the shim was sanded off but the fit was much better.


TIP: I didn't sand the base curve around the BT-50 body tube. Instead I sanded it around an 18mm engine casing. On a piece like this, sometimes the fit ends up better if you sand the contour on a smaller diameter tube.




Here's the view with the dowel mount glued to the rear end of the pop pod.

2 comments:

  1. That's some clean building, Chris! As per usual, an inspiration! (I sure hope that Estes makes this kit a bringback, soon.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Overeasy!
    Who knows if Estes will sell this kit again. This version came out in 2004, one of the first in their "Classics" line.
    I've read where this newer version doesn't glide as well as the original. The plastic parts on the wing hub are probably close in weight to the old plywood and dowel. I built mine as light as I could, not as much filler on the balsa parts. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete