Monday, January 29, 2018

Estes Scissor Wing Transport Build, Part 14, More Stickers



I don't think the sticker will go over the raised launch lug on the other side of the wing.

I marked a slot and removed the excess for a good fit.


The circle sticker fits very tight around the wing center disk. You'd better get it centered before applying any pressure and sticking it down.

I did try dip the stickers in water and wet the surface before setting them down. This allows you to lift the stickers and reposition before squeegeeing out the water under the sticker.

Here's how the decals came off the sheet. Mentioned earlier, I left on the backing so I could check the placement before sticking anything down.
On this tube wrap I trimmed off the clear edges right outside the black lines.


The upper tube wrap was marked at the center. Set the center in line with the fin then wrap around the sides of the tube. Centering the stripe and you end up with equal ends around the bottom of the tube.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I do recall that the wingtip decal needed a bit of nudging and prodding to fit around the lug (with a wee bit of wrinkling at one point) After it dried, a few judicious cuts in the area and re-wetting it helped to get it settling a bit better. As for the stickers in the reissue -- I'd guess they're a bit thicker and stiffer, so what you did would be the way to go.
    I do remember the "nacelle" tube wrap was a wee bit short -- so there was a sliver of a gap (fortunately ending up on the bottom where it was less visible).
    I also remember painting the area just inside the "ring" decal on the wing to match the catalog image - and to make the protruding pivot dowel and retaining ring less obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see you weren't kidding about the tight fit of the ring marking.
    One caution that's probably worth mentioning about stickers (especially the foil type) is to remember to peel the backing away from the sticker -- NOT the other way around. Peeling sticker from the backing sheet tends to impart a curl to sticker that make the ends want to lift away from the surface.

    ReplyDelete