Saturday, January 6, 2018

Semroc Saturn 1B Is Out, One On The Way

Did you ever wait too long and miss out on a certain discontinued or clearance kit?
I just ordered one of the remaining Semroc Saturn 1B kits.

It looks like ERockets.biz is discontinuing many Semroc  kits, including the Estes reissue 1/70 scale Saturn 1B. I counted 34 Semroc name kits being discontinued.
CLICK HERE to see the Semroc kit page, look for kits marked "Discontinued".

Sad to see some of these kits go. The Centuri style Mini-Max SLS line will be gone, as are the Goony models. I can understand stopping production on certain kits, I've discontinued a few from the Odd'l Rockets lineup. It makes no sense to produce things that don't sell well.
I also bought quite a few ST-18 tubes. With the Goony kits leaving, Randy might not carry these specific Centuri diameter tubes anymore. I use them in the Odd'l Pigasus and Little Green Man kits.

I've wanted to have the re-issued Estes Saturn 1B kit for a while. I can't make any guarantee if or when it would be built on the blog.
There have been rumors that Estes might be bringing back the 1/100 scale (Centuri) Saturn 1B, but you didn't hear that from me.

10 comments:

  1. Good for you, Chris. At least you'll know you won't have any regrets (coulda, woulda, shoulda). Life is short, so you might as well have some fun. You can regard it as a business expense.
    I was wondering if you ever built a kit, then had some trepidations about flying it for fear of damaging it? This is the dilemma I face with some of my more complex builds, including my Sat 1B clone. With its cardstock/balsa skeleton fins I'm worried about landing damage. Laters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      I've always been leery about launching very detailed model rockets, something always seems to break off. After recovery, I've learned to check a model before walking away from where it touched down. Look at the model on the ground, then pick it up and check for damages or missing things. If everything is on the model I'll pack the chute and walk back to the launcher and range box. After you walk away from the landing area you'll never find that small toothpick or detail that broke off again.

      Delete
  2. They will actually be around for a while longer, just not through Semroc. I'll tell you when I see you today, if you are at the ROCK launch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      I saw you at the launch but I didn't ask that question! Before I ordered from Semroc I checked other vendors and nobody had a Semroc Saturn 1B in stock.

      Delete
  3. It’s sad to see it go but I’m glad to see you got one Chris! It would be a real shame not to post the build on the blog. I’m sure many of us here would really enjoy watching you take the time to build one. The only thing that held me back from picking up an additional one was the price.

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      Eventually I'll build it, it might be a while though.

      Delete
  4. Estes has discontinued the Saturn V, maybe to clear a slot for a return of the 1B? Though I can't honestly say that makes any sense. It would seem better to have all 3 available as a spaceflight series?

    Philip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phillip,
      You'd think they'd want all the scale kits in the lineup at the same time. But who knows what the sales numbers are or the reasons why. If they were to really do it right they'd have the Gemini Titan back, but there is cluster reliability problems with Starter igniters.

      Delete
  5. The Saturn-1B at almost $100 was not on many people's purchase list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manuel,
      I've always been cheap when buying rockets. My Mother once said: "You spent $1.25 for that rocket? There's probably only 10 cents worth of parts in it!" I just have to accept that every model is now 10X the price it was in the early 1970s. A Big Bertha in 1972 was $2.75. Retail in 2018 is now $24.95. The one that really hits me wrong is the Mini Mosquito. In 1972 it was $.50, it's now $6.99!!!
      Currently, the Semroc Saturn 1B price is 8.4X what it retailed for when Estes sold it in 1972. I don't like it, but once in a while I pay the price to relive rocketry when I was in my teens.

      Delete