Saturday, September 29, 2018

Home Print Decal Clear Coat TIPS, Part 1



No - this aint' no ugly puppet show.
When spraying decals you should be wearing a mask and find some sort of cover for your hand. The UV clear gloss acrylic paint is sticky and is hard to remove from your skin. I save and re-use grocery bags.




Three coats of Krylon UV Resistant Clear is about right. The clear coat will be thick enough for easy transfer, still thin enough so the decal isn't raised above the surface.

The first coat is sprayed with the sheet in the "portrait" position.

Acrylic dries pretty quick, you can do the second coat after five minutes.

Keep a cheap brush handy. Before the second and third coat, brush off any dust that could be caught under the next spraying.

2 comments:

  1. I use a lot of plastic shopping bags but I LOVE the big boxes of disposable nitrile gloves! Started using them in my shop working on cars bikes, scooters, mowers now there my go-to for about anything chemical. Buy the 7 mil type and save the used painting gloves for messy stuff like oil changes and sharpening mower blades. I even keep a couple pair in my range box in case I pull all the used BP motors out after a launch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The uses are many! I use then when sanding primer, to keep oily fingerprints off the rocket, as well as keeping my hands clean. At big launches the launch rails get REALLY blackened in no time, and rarely can you avoid touching the rail when lowering to get your rocket loaded. I also keep them in the car, in the hopefully unlikely event that I need to change a tire.

      Delete