Saturday, September 1, 2018

Vashon Valkyrie II Build, Part 7, Cleaning Up The Metal Parts




I remember using NEVR-DULL batting to clean up a brass bed. I don't know what is in it, but it cleans up most metals, but not rust.

A piece of the wadding material is sitting on top of the can. All that black gunk came off the metal parts in the Valkyrie kit.



First up was the two-piece, 1/8" diameter launch rods.
On the right is the polished upper half. The Nevr-Dull took off most all the black tarnish.

I followed up with a light rub of oil on the rods.


The 40+ year old aluminum bodies looked okay, but check out the difference in the before and after pictures.

One thing that first attracted me to the Vashon models was the shiny metal bodies. I wanted to get it close to new condition without scratching the aluminum.

2 comments:

  1. I was under the impression that metal body tubes weren't allowed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thomas,
      I think the Vashon aluminum rockets got a "pass" from the NAR. Back then you couldn't get BP model rocket engines in California and a few other states. The NAR even had a liquid (cold) power safety code. http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/vashon/vashon4.html

      Delete