Friday, September 7, 2018

Vashon Valkyrie II Build, Part 13, Fin Rails and Placement





The fin rails are cut to match the angle of the fin leading edge.


The launch lug also glues onto the engine body.
The supplied lug is 4" long, probably too long for this model. I cut it down to 2 1/4" long.

The glue area is masked and sanded like the fin lines.



I found Weldwood Contact Cement at Home Depot.
Contact cement is interesting. You brush it onto both surfaces to be joined, let the glue thoroughly dry.
Line up the two parts and touch the glued areas. There is an instant grab with little time to adjust.



Applying this glue is like brushing on runny snot!
It drips when you don't expect it, have paper towels ready.

Line up the fin rails before pressing in place.
NOTE: The instructions have you glue on the rails, then slide the fins into the rails. (Yeah, right!)

3 comments:

  1. When I built a Valkyrie II as a kid I followed the instructions and slid the fins into the rails after they were finished (orange Aero Gloss as I recall).

    I lost that model by flying it out of a park in Santa Fe, NM on a rather warm day - the warmer they got the better they peformed. I’ve never been able to stomach the eBay prices for them though I still look from time-to-time. I would like to have another someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernard,
      I could never bid high enough to get a Vashon on Ebay. After NARAM Doug Frost sent me this one in a Vashon starter set for trade of some Odd'l products. I couldn't pass up that deal!

      Delete
    2. Bernard,
      I should add, I tried to launch a coldpower Estes Shark on a very cold morning in California. It only got 50 feet in the air. Very disappointed I converted it to black powder. You did need warm weather to have success with the Vashon engines.

      Delete