Saturday, July 20, 2019

Centurion Project, Finished!



For comparison - 
This is the Estes Cosmic Explorer - leaner, longer nose cone and a bit shorter. 1.35" diameter, BT-55






Here's the (Centuri) Semroc Centurion, the real subject piece for this build.

Stockier, shorter nose cone and taller. ST-16 tube at 1.64" diameter.
This is probably the better demonstration bird of the two.








These last five pictures are of the Semroc Centurion.





Here's the two different interchangeable engine mounts.

On the left - the two 18mm cluster mount. This model should be good with two C6-5s.
On the right is the single 24mm mount for a D12-5.
By the looks of the picture I'm going to lightly ream the rough launch lug end with a sharpened dowel.

And the top!
I'm glad to finally get back to and finish this Centurion Project.
I hope to launch the two engine cluster version after the new NEFAR field is established.

4 comments:

  1. Another nice job, Chris. The Centurion was one I always wanted as a kid, but never did get. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      Also a favorite of mine - but my last Centurion was cursed! Most every flight had a lot of damage, it got to the point where it wasn't worth the repairs! Fingers crossed for the new one.

      Delete
  2. Nice job on these two. I am feeling inspired to build a Big Bertha. I've been thinking about it but now I am thinking if I build it with this dual mount system I can try my first cluster. You are an inspiration! Bob George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      Berthas are a BT-60, this mount and rings were cut for the Centuri style ST-16 tube, a little different diameter. If you glue up the engine mount and the basswood strip inside the tube clean, the sliding fit and turn is amazing.
      The Semroc.biz catalog numbers are Cent Rings: SEM-CR-KV-39, Tubes: (2) ST-730E and (1) ST-940E, Basswood Strip: FVB-39S

      Delete