Sunday, July 7, 2019

Orlando R.O.C.K. Launch, July 6, 2019

Rain was forecast for the afternoon, the idea was to start early and beat the rough weather. Record heat this year, we all felt it. I was there early to help set up the range equipment and launchers. Everything was running smooth, Kirby and Tom were handling the controller and microphone duties.
By 1:00 p.m. things were winding down. I was really feeling the heat. I helped break down a bit but felt winded and had to get into air conditioning fast! I didn't go with the gang to Del Taco for lunch, but headed home for a shower and sleep.



My first flight of the day was the Estes QUINSTAR with a D12-0 clearance engine from Hobby Lobby. Much better altitude than the 18mm C6 engine, maybe 150 feet.





I hadn't seen Bill Gibson for about three years, since I used to visit the Tampa TTRA launches. Bill was the guy that gave me the great tip - Write the engine designation on that paper strip on the igniter.
Bill says he is back and building more rockets than ever - Here he is setting up a Cherokee D with a C11 motor.





Gary Dahlke brought a new contribution to the R.O.C.K. site - A pop-up Porta-Potty. Before today you'd take a stroll behind the shrubs for "relief".
In this pop-up was a five gallon can, with a toilet seat on top!
I told Gary to get rid of the wet-wipes. "Real Rocketeers only use Estes recovery wadding."














Lonnie B. brought his new "alternative history" Saturn V with the Orion capsule. A perfect launch using the E12-4 engine.
On the right, Lonnie is in a jubilant recovery mode in the adjacent field.
There was quite a few Saturn Vs in the air - Roger Smith, David Hoffman and Jim Lytle participated in July anniversary launches.

Here's my first launch of the Custom SLV with an Estes B6-4. Good altitude at 375', no damage on recovery.
I also launched my old Dr. Zooch SATURN V with a B6-4.
My Quest STRIKER AGM also flew with an Estes B6-4. The parachute didn't  eject, but it fell horizontally with no damage.
The Estes GAUCHITO rounded out my day with an A3-4t.






Closing shot - 
Kirby retrieving a rocket from 20 feet up!

Five up, five recovered with no damage aside from a dent or two.
I'll be in recovery mode tomorrow -

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the pic. I hope you're feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete