Sunday, July 21, 2019

Launch! Schoolyard Soccer Field, July 20, 2019

My alarm went off at 6:45 a.m., I headed for the soccer field by 7:00. Clear skies - no winds! Early is the only way to beat the heat.



The indestructible Estes CURVILINEAR was a great first launch to make sure the batteries, controller and conditions are good.
The A8-3 engine got it to an estimated 200 feet.








Here's the first launch of the recently finished Semroc CENTURION.
An Estes B6-4 (in a used D engine casing adapter) got it to 300'. Ejection was perfect, right as the rocket turned over. I caught the model before it touched down.
The Centuri style Baffle worked - no wadding and no melts on the 18' parachute.
For me, this is the ideal demonstration rocket. Slow off the launcher with manageable altitudes. That, and it's just a clean design.


Next up was the "fibre-finned" Semroc NOMAD.
I remember building this Centuri kit in the seventies and being surprised by the new stiff, card stock fins.

The Estes A8-3 probably reached 200'. A clean, textbook launch and recovery.

The main reason for today's launch was a small tribute to the moon landing fifty years ago. For an hour I felt 13 years old again. I found myself running to catch rockets before they could touch the ground.

My favorite Dr. Zooch SATURN V was flown with an Estes B6-4.
Boost was good but the rocket angled to the East, over the fence and above the four lane road!
By this time the winds were starting up and brought it back within 50 feet of the tripod launcher. It landed with a "Thock!", I thought there might be damage. One fin was torn off and a nozzle bell was loose, both repairable. This was the 14th launch for this model.


My last flight seemed appropriate -
The EARTH TO THE MOON Spool flew with an Estes C6-0 engine. Boost got it to 175' with a fast end over end spinning recovery.
The Earth "plate" is on the bottom and the moon print faces up. No launch lug, there is a hole for the launch rod in each plate.

Five up, five recovered with small Saturn V repairs.
I seem to dread getting up this early for rocket launches, but feel like I've got a lot accomplished by the end of the day.

2 comments:

  1. Early is the way to go to be a the wind and heat, plus the bonus of no soccer games

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 5X7,
      Believe me, there is nobody playing Soccer in July, August and September!

      Delete