Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Estes Saturn V #1969 Build, Finished!

Okay, where are the finished pictures?

I built TWO Saturn Vs and had a deadline.
Trying to paint around Florida's Summer rains and humidity is a bear!
When all was finished I would have to take the pictures outside, the model is too tall to "pose" for clear indoor pictures.
When that afternoon came, there was rain and more rain. I had to get the models in the mail. The picture to the left is of the previous #2157 build.

The previous blog build of the #2157 Saturn V kit took over 60 hours.
This build took about 42 hours. Why the difference?

Experience with many previous Saturn V builds cut down the build time. I know what to expect.
The older 2157 kit is a harder build. There were those two piece vacu-form fins that probably took an hour each to glue up and fill. This model has easier to glue up hard styrene fins.
No upper LEM shroud, internal tubing and coupler. A much easier to assemble tower.

I met the deadline - these two Saturn Vs were sent back to Estes in time! I also wanted to have the posts finished with enough time for others to launch on the July Apollo 11 anniversary.

One other reason for no finished picture - 
Vendors use my finished pictures to sell kits on their websites and make money off my builds. This one would be copied and pasted a lot! Things might be different if there was name credit and they asked permission. There are many pictures throughout the blog build.

4 comments:

  1. You are the man Chris! I’d planned on taking my #1969 Saturn V to NARAM but that’s just not going to happen. I will have my Dr Zooch Saturn ready and maybe my Estes 1/45 LJII along with my RTF Estes 1/200 Saturn at NARAM but no #1969 or BMS/Alway Sat V - maybe for the 55th anniversary? I just don’t have the sustained focus to work on one rocket at a time till it’s done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely great ....damn.....Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed with the detail in your builds. I recently acquired a Estes Saturn V #2001 and during the winter will be assembling it. I will reference this blog to get it done right.

    ReplyDelete