Friday, July 5, 2019

Ten Years of Blogging!

Hard to believe!
TEN years of Rocket Building and Blogging.
Almost 6,000 posts and 2.5 million hits! Who knows how many rockets were built.
The blog was started on July 4, 2009 to document my rocket projects and hopefully help others along the way. The first Odd'l Rockets kits came three months later.

Model Rocketry is now a full time job.
I'll bag kits, build and paint rockets during the day, then write the blog posts in the evening.

This blog was never meant to be a Forum. You know, where a "newbie" asks: "What kind of filler should I use on balsa?"
A dozen posts follow with as many different ideas, confusing the original builder. My favorite: "Rub glue into the balsa!" (Don't do that!)
The methods presented here are what works for me.

The highs of blogging:
* Meeting followers and email communication with builders around the world.
* I have 80 followers.
* Patreon support! Some were apprehensive about joining Patreon and sent donations. All Patreon  support and donations go back into the builds.
* Learning! Every kit or new design is an adventure.
* Producing and drawing up instructions for a dozen rocket vendors.
* Now building show model rockets for Estes.

The lows:
* Carefully worded Spam ad in the comments where they try to sneak in their company website link.  A vague comment like: "A great post, very helpful! www.widgets.com" Those are deleted immediately.
* Some comments have said: "That won't work, do it my way!" That's fine, don't tell me I'm wrong. Why not start a blog and share your techniques?
* There's a rare comment where a builder writes: "You ruined my rocket!" It's usually a paint problem. I have no control over an impatient builder who doesn't follow re-coat recommendation times.
* A few have sent original designs they want me to build on the blog. They are really looking for free advertising on a kit they'd like to produce. Building a "one-off" of a simple 3FNC rocket won't keep anybody's attention. Most blog readers want help with existing kits or something they might clone.
* My gripes - When a vendor copies a picture of one of my builds and uses it on their website to sell kits. (No reference to where the photo came from)
* Another gripe- I'll see a post where a builder takes credit for something I came up with, like the Replaceable Kevlar Engine Mount. You don't have to buy my products but at least give a name acknowledgement.
* The occasional complaints. Remember, the blog is free. It doesn't have to be great . . . it's free!

How can you support the blog?
Buy an Odd'l Rockets kit or accessory or join Patreon.

I hope the readers have picked up some TIPS along the way.
It's very rewarding to hear from somebody who writes: "Oh, that's how it's done!"

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on ten years, Chris. In this day and time, that's a long time to keep any once thing going and keep it successful. As accomplished as I am at building, you have taught me much, and talking at launches invariably leaves me with a new idea or technique to try. Danielle is always excited as can be when she ends up in your blog. She usually exclaims "I'm on the Internet!" And I am always honored when one of my builds interests toy enough to put a picture of it in ther blog, too. Especially my Executioner, as I am very proud of the scheme I came up with and the end results. Thanks for being a teacher, inspiration, and most of a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping a daily blog going for 10 years is no mean feat. Congratulations!

    This blog is without doubt the #1 reference on the web for general LPR building techniques, and for specific guidelines for tricky kit builds. It was certainly fundamental in kick-starting my BAR career. Thanks for keeping at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Chris. I remember when you first started, but I put the hobby on the back burner not long afterwards. I started back a couple of years ago and rediscovered your blog while doing research for my current Estes Saturn V build. You've REALLY helped me a lot with it. Also, I've gone back to your very first post and I'm working my way through the blog to catch up on what I've missed over the years. Thank you, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your builds are the gold standard for technique and thoughtful execution. I always come here to research my next build and look for inspiration. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 10 years is a long time so big congrads are in order. I like reading your blog and I will occasionally search to see if you built a particular kit because your builds are like super reviews. You were a big help to me when I became a BAR and I only imagine that you have helped others along the way as well.. Thanks for doing what you do. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, you are doing an excellent ant job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Chris,
    A visit to your blog has become a regular part of my daily routine: Wake up, have coffee, take a shower, ready for work, brush teeth, visit Model Rocket Building, go to work, etc.....
    Thanks for all the hard work and inspirational posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. been away for a while doing stuff w my band.....winter coming here in Indiana ,bought a few new kits and remembered how much I like your site .....Thanks again always a good read and I have learned a few tricks !

    ReplyDelete