Monday, July 1, 2019

Estes Saturn V #1969 Build, Part 51, Silver Trim and Dull Coat

Normally I'd paint and leave a Saturn V with gloss paint. Flat paint is a dirt and finger oil magnet! Flat finishes are also hard to clean. Estes requested these builds to have a dull, no gloss finish.

I hand painted these small motors on the 3rd Stage with bottled Silver paint.
The sheen was good - but look what happened after it was hit with a dull coat! It is now a dull gray and the brush strokes are very evident.


For a test, I sprayed some silver on card stock.

On the left is the sprayed silver.
On the right is the same silver after a shot of dull coat. I didn't want this gray look on the fins, and the silver on the fairings.


Oh boy - MORE MASKING!

I had to mask the silver on the fins and fairings to protect it from the dull coat.
A strip of tape was cut with a notch to fit around the low end of the fin.
A tracing was made of a fin and cut out. Notice the bent outside edge hinge. These mask covers are wide but still fit close over the root edge of the fin. Three more covers were traced and cut.

The cover is folded over the fin and taped closed.
Now the lower tube assembly can be sprayed with the Krylon Matte spray.

Krylon Matte Finish is considered flat - but does have a very slight sheen to it.

Assembly time so far:
38:45 minutes previous
    :45 this post
39:30 Total so far

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris. I've seen both Krylon Matte 1309 and 1311 and I'm wondering, did you use one of these? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      I used the #1309, the UV Resistant Matte Clear.

      Delete
  2. same happened to me on a Marx O gauge train engine repaint....the silver was silver till I hit it with the clear....BAM dull grey.....but It ended up looking better that way

    ReplyDelete