Thursday, July 25, 2019

New Kits From Estes Available!

The Sasha, Boosted Bertha, Double Ringer and a new version Phantom are now available on the Estes website: CLICK HERE

I have already built two Sasha and Boosted Berthas for Estes.
The Boosted Bertha has two of the new 18mm screw on motor retaining rings. The Sasha sports gap staging with a booster "directional cone" and vented centering rings.


I'm interested in seeing a flight of the Double Ringer - the instructions and tube glider assembly is interesting. To see the Double Ringer instructions: CLICK HERE
This one reminds me of the old Flying Stovepipe plan - CLICK HERE


I'll be featuring both the Sasha and Boosted Bertha builds on the blog after the Semroc Andromeda is complete.

8 comments:

  1. Chris, I like the simple prep for the Boosted Bertha, using screw-on retainers. Looking at the instructions, besides having tabbed, thru-wall fins, the boosters fins appear to be just a bit larger than the upper stage fins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      The booster fins are tabbed TTW and a bit larger than the upper stage fins. The upper stage fins are almost the same profile and size of other Bertha fin templates I found online.

      Delete
  2. I know it’s borderline blasphemy but I’ve never been overly fond of the Ranger/Big Bertha “look” - I think it’s the shape of the nose cone. But I can see picking up a couple of Boosted Berthas - one to build as a stretched version. The Sasha sounds interesting as well. Really looking forward to the builds...and hoping you have the new Black Brant II coming up too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      I was never a fan of the old Bertha design. You should note the original BB nose cone was balsa and slightly longer than the current plastic NC. It was closer to the shape of the nose cone on the Centurion. Check out the old instructions: http://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/estK-23/K-23.pdf

      Delete
  3. Not sure about the Double Ringer or the Boosted Bertha, but the Sasha is a must have for me. I'll check out the Double Ringer more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      Yep, I could see you building and launching the Sasha.

      Delete
    2. If it wasn't already two stage, it would be when I'm done with it.

      Delete
  4. If Vern is reading this blog, he is NOT going to be pleased with the negative comments about Berthas! :)

    ReplyDelete