Saturday, March 7, 2020

Estes Low Boom SST #7289 Build, Part 13, Masking The Engine Top



I was building this model before the new 2020 catalog came out. In the catalog and on the website more views were shown later on. I made a few guesses as to how the engines were masked.




In the face card picture I could see the top of the jet engines were maroon. That curved detail on the side is one of the decals. Here I've outline masked so just the top of the engines would get the maroon paint.


The sides, bottoms, open front and rear were totally closed off with tape.
On the left is the front, on the right is the rear.








The top gluing support was covered with a strip of tape.

For some reason I had some burgundy over spray near the top side of one engine.



I didn't scrape off the paint or use thinner. A Mr. Clean sponge removed the burgundy paint.
TIP: Go light with the Mr. Clean sponges. They can dull a glossy finish.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder - is there enough airflow through “engine” pods to act as fins? If I’m remembering correctly there was a conversation on one of the forums about optimal tube fin diameters - if the opening isn’t large enough there isn’t enough airflow for the tube fin to function. These should at least provide some base drag to stabilize the rocket, I’d think.

    ReplyDelete