Monday, March 2, 2020

Estes Low Boom SST #7289 Build, Part 8, Jet Engines Assembly



I trimmed off the card stock from the front of the engines but left the overhang on the rear. I simply thought it looked better that way.

Here I'm rounding the edges on the front of the intakes. This took some more CWF passes and some spray and sanded filler/primer.







The front and rear of the side supports are glued on. I rounded them before gluing in place.


A reversed clothespin clamp held them as the glue set.







To get a good shape, it took a little more shaping after the sides were glued down. Masking tape was set on the card stock top so I wouldn't sand into them with the flat diamond file.





Here's the finished jet engine.
The front surfaces are rounded, the back was left square.

The engines are the toughest part of the build. They take most of the assembly time to assemble, fill and smooth.

2 comments:

  1. Those engines look great! I continue to resist the urge to order more new kits. I’ve got 5-6 projects I am working on, and still have 165 in storage. Plus boxes and boxes of tubes and nose cones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      These two SSTs were built for Estes. That's the good things - Less kits in storage and fewer models crowding the shelf! I probably have 60 kits in bags, down from about 100 a year ago. I've been giving some of them away at club launches.

      Delete