Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Johnson Smith - GONE!


On Facebook, someone brought up that at one time Estes starter kits were for sale from the Johnson Smith Company.
Before Estes, MRI (Model Rocket Industries) sold a starter set and engine packs through Johnson Smith.

If you ever bought a comic book, you'll remember these full page ads. They were usually on the inside covers.

How would I know, why could I care?
I had already made some purchases through their catalog before discovering Model Rocketry. I sent off for magic tricks, pranks & X-Ray glasses. You name it, I wasted paper route money on it.

Johnson Smith was also where I bought my first black powder model rocket engines. 
When I ordered my first kit from Centuri in 1969 you couldn't have motors sent by mail into California. You could only buy engines once your flying field had been approved and you were issued a special permit from the State Fire Marshall.

I noticed M.R.I. rockets and engines on the 1969 Johnson Smith catalog page. At the bottom of the descriptive copy there was always a statement: Model Rocket engines cannot be shipped to of California, Washington, Oregon and New Jersey.
But in their 1970 catalog - California was off the list! Probably a misprint or omission. In 1970, California was still on the "no-ship" list for engines.
What the heck - I put in an order for three MRI A3-2 engines and waited.
About ten days later they arrived! Probably illegal, but we got them!

That afternoon we loaded up a Estes Streak. By the time we got to the schoolyard it was already dark. The Electro Launch had fresh Photoflash batteries. We pressed the launch button - Nothing! The bare wire nichrome igniter looked okay. It was shoved back into the nozzle.
Countdown, press and HOLD down the button . . .
After waiting a few seconds we looked at each other and said: "It 'ain't gonna work" when there was a hiss and a flash of light - the Streak was gone! Excited and scared we ran under the school building awning and listened. Nothing!
The next day one of the boys found the Streak in the schoolyard field. We were on our way!   

I just did a search and found this message:
"Dear Valued Customer,
After 105 years in business, it is with great sadness that we inform you that the Johnson Smith Company closed our doors on December 31, 2019.
We appreciate your patronage, and are sorry we won't be able to serve you in the future.
We wish you a happy and healthy 2020!"

The Johnson Smith I remember was in Mt. Clemens, Michigan, later moved to Florida. Some background:
"The Johnson Smith Co., located in Bradenton, Fla., is one of the oldest catalog companies in the United States. The company has been providing a wide range of household novelties, gifts and collectibles since 1914. It offers a variety of catalogs, including The Lighter Side catalog that consists of more than 500 gifts and serves all kinds of audience." 

2 comments:

  1. It was The Johnson Smith Co. that introduced me to model rocketry (solid propellants) back in 1976. My life has since changed :-)

    Sad they are no longer active :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad, I remember seeing the Estes Star Trek rocket sets being sold in their catalogs.

    ReplyDelete