Friday, March 6, 2020

Vahson Valkyrie 2 Complete!

Back Story: 
The first real model rocket I owned was a Vashon Valkyrie 2. In 1969 you couldn't get black powder motors in California without special permits. While I waited for the permit process to run, I ordered a Vashon Valkyrie 2 starter set from the Sears Christmas catalog for $19.95. The Vashon rockets used a liquid propellant - the now outlawed, ozone layer depleting Freon!
Over the years that original Vashon rocket was lost.
I shared a hotel room with Doug Frost at NARAM 60. I mentioned wanting to find an original Vashon rocket but didn't want to pay the Ebay collector's prices. Doug said he had one and would send it to me!
He sent new, unused Vashon parts in the original Vashon box, just like I received in that first Sears order. Everything for a full build was there - except for the parachute release timer.

These timers show up from time to time on Ebay, but usually in a Vashon lot with many other parts I don't need. More parts can raise the final bid price.
Gary S. emailed and let me know an individual Vashon Separator was for sale on Ebay. I ordered it!

Here's the separator.
That brass piece on the top is the tie point for the shock cord and parachute.
Viewed from the side you can see the two pressure "springs" under the round top cover. When the rocket is pressurized with Freon, these spring grippers expand out and grab the inside edge of the parachute tube.

On the left, the separator is turned over.
The Ebay separator didn't have the connecting nut. The parts Doug sent did have one screwed on the top of the engine. On the right the separator is turned over.
In the center of the nut are small paper disks. Every disk adds a second or two to the "delay" before the parachute tube is released. No ejection, the tube just falls off. Cross you fingers and hope the parachute opens up!


Here's the complete Valkyrie 2! Now I can sleep through the night.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris,
    That is really cool! Are you gonna fly it?
    Go get some much needed sleep......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed.
      Probably not - It took me long enough to get a complete Vashon! These rockets weren't very reliable, and the rubber seals may not be good after all these years.

      Delete
  2. I had a Valkyrie 2! I lost it on a sunny Santa Fe day flying out of a big park. I'm still not sure quite where it went. Getting the mylar 'chute to open was indeed a challenge.

    Glad you were able to get one.

    ReplyDelete