Friday, March 13, 2020

Semroc MMX Orbital Transport, KMX-01, Build Background

I remember getting this 1970 catalog in the mail!
The slick, new Orbital Transport was featured on the cover. This was Estes kit number K-42 and sold for $3.25.
The design was by Wayne Kellner. The kit was sold from 1969 through 1985.

No die-cut or laser cut balsa on this one! All 36 (Yes, I said 36) pieces of balsa were traced from patterns and cut by hand. Launch lugs and stand-off dowels were also cut to size.

The O.T. is still a fun launch. At ejection the orbiter usually glides well, circling around the booster descending under a parachute.

Estes re-released the kit in 2002. Surprisingly you still had to trace and cut out all the balsa!
Semroc has also released their version of the full size O.T. All the balsa stock is laser cut, the parts are notched for better alignment and easier assembly.
This next blog build will be their recent Micro Maxx version. Semroc claims it reaches 220' with a MMX engine. I don't think it'll get that high -
I have yet to launch this finished MMX Orbital Transport. About ten years ago I built a downscale carded version of the O.T. Boost was straight with a A10-3t engine. At ejection, that heavy card stock glider didn't glide!

2 comments:

  1. I have built 2 original Estes OT over the years. The first one I built was in the 80s, all I can say sealing the balsa after assembly was a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      I remember how hard it was to do four coats of sanding sealer around all the inside edges on the original, full-size Orbital Transport. On my first few models I glued it all up, then tried to fill the wood grain.
      I couldn't imagine trying to fill something this small after assembly.

      Delete