Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Launch April 8, 2012 Bang!

This is probably the last cold front Florida will see this year. When I got to the field at 7:40 a.m. it was cool, clear and no wind.

Two Sandhill Cranes were at the field when I arrived.
These are big birds, over four feet tall when standing up.



I gave my Centuri FINLESS another chance at stability.
The last launch with a C6-5 was unstable. Not a recommended engine - I've learned to check the instructions!

Today with an old B6-2 it flew great, just a little tail wag at apogee.
Full parachute and no damage on recovery.




My Semroc CENTURION (with a new engine retention system) was the best flight of the morning. Boosted with an Estes B6-4 it reached about 325' and came down under two 12" parachutes.

The new retention system works great! More on that at a later date - you know, Top Secret.











The first flight of my NEW cloned Centuri VULCAN was launched with an OLD Estes B6-2 engine.

Things were good up until about 20 feet up. A fireball blew through the internal tube splitting the front end open.
It's probably my fault, the engine is over 30 years old! All the other B6-2s from the same batch have been fine.
Oh well, print out another card stock shroud. I'll save the fins, nose cone and parachute.

Also flown:
Semroc THUNDERBEE with another old engine, an MPC 1/2A3-5m engine. Apogee was at 450' with streamer recovery. As with most Thunderbee landings, a fin was broken loose at the root edge.

3 comments:

  1. Okay Chris, I guess I have to add the motor retention system as well as your fin guide to my mental wise list.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops.......WISH list

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi BigRIJoe,
    The engine retention system isn't something you'll buy, you can make one for next to nothing. It's very clever and works well. I just with I'd thought of it! More to come after testing and writing.
    Regarding the Vulcan, it's an easy build and dirt cheap. Just spare parts and two printed 110 lb. cardstock sheets. I'll be doing a build blog on it, but it's a few models away. I tend to write pretty far ahead.
    If you are thinking of building a Vulcan now, be sure to get a hollow plastic nose cone and fill it with clay. Balsa cones (even with stacked washer weights) would be too light.

    ReplyDelete