Monday, April 2, 2012

Ranger Clone Build Part 7 Engine Mount

I've hated the Estes "Tissue-Glue Putty" since I first tried it unsuccessfully in 1969.

From the Estes Ranger instructions:
"Moisten small wads of facial tissue with glue and pack them into the gap areas between the engine holder tube and the body tube and into the hole between the holder tubes in the middle. This packing should fill the rear ½" of the gap area."

I could never get the right mixture of tissue and glue. Back then, the results were rough and unacceptable.

I cut pie-shaped pieces from some heavy mat board and glued them over the gaps between the tubes. Still, a small hole remains in the center. I had to use a small amount of the tissue glue putty.




A drop of glue was set over the hole in the middle. The mount assembly was turned over and a piece of rolled tissue was pushed up from the bottom with a dowel.





When it got to the top it was pushed into the glue sealing off the hole.
A little more lightly glued tissue was pushed up from the bottom.

All the surfaces that could be exposed to the ejection charge got a coating of white glue.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, it could double as a warning that the engines are radioactive :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right - I thought that looked like something I'd seen before!

    ReplyDelete