Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ranger Clone Build Part 28 Baffle Plate Install

I may have mentioned a few posts back:
This is a single "baffle" plate. It doesn't protect the parachutes from the ejection charge.
It's there to prevent the parachutes (and wadding) from traveling back to the rear of the model during acceleration. The single plate also gives you a place to attach the shock cord.

The Semroc Ranger instructions have you glue the plate 4" from the top of the model.
I decided to go a little deeper at 4 1/2" from the top of the tube.
I felt a little more room was needed for the wadding, parachutes and nose block.

I've laced the loose end of the shock cord back into one of the holes and out the back below the coupler. This will keep it out of the way when gluing in the plate assembly.


I didn't use any glue yet. The coupler fit was tighter than I would have liked.
It was pushed into place using a ruler. This way I knew it was at the 4 1/2" depth I wanted.

After it was in place, a fillet was applied drop by drop using the rounded end of a 1/4" diameter dowel.





After the fillet dried, the shock cord was pulled forward using the end of a bent coat hanger wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment